Re: RFC: Preventing double-updates

On 7/13/07, Ed W <..hidden..> wrote:
Well I think you just highlighted that different sorts of locks are
suitable for different areas of the app!

Agreed.

I would agree that batch jobs need pessamistic locking though - or more
precisely it's no good getting to the end of your 20 min job and being
told that it failed!

However, I would have thought that editing a Sales Order came under the
heading of where optimistic locking might be more suitable?  If we
wanted to get flash we could even try to show a flag at the bottom of
the edit screen showing which other user was potentially editing the
same sales order (wouldn't be all that accurate of course) - the final
arbitration would be when you hit save though.

I would agree.  I would generally say that quick operations on
non-financial aspects of the software should use optimistic locking.
Stored fnancial documents only have a limited number of alterations
(approve a voucher, reverse a transaction, etc).  Eventially we will
probably want to separate viewing and editing into different stages so
we can properly handle such issues.