Re: RFC: Preventing double-updates

Well I think you just highlighted that different sorts of locks are suitable for different areas of the app! More granular locking is always nice, but I guess you just need to do whatever is most sensible given the structure of the app!

I would agree that batch jobs need pessamistic locking though - or more precisely it's no good getting to the end of your 20 min job and being told that it failed!

However, I would have thought that editing a Sales Order came under the heading of where optimistic locking might be more suitable? If we wanted to get flash we could even try to show a flag at the bottom of the edit screen showing which other user was potentially editing the same sales order (wouldn't be all that accurate of course) - the final arbitration would be when you hit save though

All sounds like great new features though

Ed W