Re: proposing Section 508 compliance as requirement for 2.x

Server-side form tracking is mostly useful IMO as a way of guarding against human error.  Remember that we are working on entirely (from the server's perspective) stateless interfaces (like the RESTful web interface), and supporting a command line from wget would also be helpful.  So I am not sure that one can do those things and actually have this be a robust security measure.  This just means we have to define our security perimeters differently.

My only concern is that we define the boundary which we can actually defend without getting rid of the interoperability features.

On 5/11/07, Tony Fraser <..hidden..> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 10:12 +0100, Ed W wrote:
> As an aside, whilst I am not saying that it's impossible to do this
> all
> with only sessions, I am actually baffled as to how it could be done
> and
> need to do something similar in another project.  So if someone can
> describe how to have multi-window state kept using only sessions then
> please let me know... (I can't see how to do it without having a
> session_id in the URL in order to figure out which window is
> submitting
> each time??)

I think what you looking to do is something like the CGI::Application
plugin CGI::Application::Plugin::FormState

http://search.cpan.org/~mgraham/CGI-Application-Plugin-FormState-0.12/

Basically it uses 2 ids, a session id and a form state id. This
particular implementation stores the form state in a server side session
leading to session bloat very quickly.

What I would prefer to see is something like:

At session creation time generate a random secret and store it in the
server side session. _NEVER_ send it to the client.

Then for form state bundle it all up (URL encoded string? Storable?) and
base64 encode it. Then put in a hidden form variable
"$base64_state:sha1_base64(\"$base64_state$session_id$session_secret
\")". Then when the form is submitted you can verify the form state by
comparing the hash that was submitted to a newly calculated hash using
the submitted state and the secret from the server side session. ie.

($submitted_state, $submitted_hash) = split /:/, $cgi->{form_state};
if( $submitted_hash eq sha1_base64("$submitted_state$session_id
$session_secret") ) {
  # Good state
} else {
  # Hack attempt