Re: proposing Section 508 compliance as requirement for 2.x

On 4/25/07, David Bandel <..hidden..> wrote:

<snip>
With CSS removed,
everything just lines up vertically.  This is how it's supposed to
work, and where I am starting to go.  (And it has nothing to do with
plone, btw.)

Great.   Just making sure that everyone is on the same page.  Seems
that we are :-)

Of course, I probably should have clarified-- nothing in the 1.2.x
codebase needs to be Section 508-compliant because it will all be
replaced by 2.0 and the code is sufficiently... unstructured.... to
make compliance a problem :-)

As I rework the code, you should be able to use validate it at the
xhtml validation site.  Yesterday, the login page didn't even
validate.  Today, it does (with my changes).  I don't plan to change
the overall layout, I personally like the menu on the left and work
area on the right.  Without CSS, that will fall vertically with the
menu first and the work area below.

Would it be better to reverse this?  I.e. since most of the work is
done in the work area, would it not be better to make that default to
the top?  Just a thought, and I am open to suggestions (it is not a
showstopper for any of my deployments, just trying to have a
discussion on the best way forward).

Also, one more thing to consider-- currently we are putting in place
an infrastructure for UI templates.  Getting valid XHTML out of the
rest of the codebase, while certainly desirable (and patches would
almost certainly be accepted after validation), will be more difficult
than working on moving it all to templates in the 1.3-2.0 timeframe.

I plan to ensure the changes I make work in all browsers, but I don't
have all browsers available to test against (i.e., IE), so will need
others to send me screenshots when something doesn't look good.

As for 508 compliance -- this is a real bugger.  But if the code is
valid xhtml (I expect to go from transitional and frameset to strict),
this part (page display) should not be a big problem.

I don't actually think it will be too bad as long as we start now.  Of
course, you don't have to worry so much about it for the stuff not
moved into templates since that is going away.