Re: proposing Section 508 compliance as requirement for 2.x

OK.  What we could try out is to have the work area above, and the
menu across the bottom.  With CSS, the work area would be a fixed
vertical size and scroll.  Without CSS, the work area would drop down
until it ran out.  For the majority of forms, this would not be a big
deal, but a long output could be more problematic for text browsers --
i.e., you might have a few pages to get through until you hit bottom
unless outputs had a limit option and a continue button.  But see also
Chris' suggestion about skip links.  Will have to take a look at that
site with a text browser.

The better text browsers such as links2 and elinks both support tables for layout. This allows you to put the default into two columns. A few of them even support CSS somewhat to do the same... I am not an expert, but I think it's still possible to bust out of the table and put the menu somewhere else using CSS if that's what you really want as long as there is a div inside the table cell with the menu in it?

Ed W