Re: Collaboration/merger with Ledger-SMB compatible Java project?

Hi David;

For what it's worth, I have been trying to push the idea that by 2.0,
it should be possible to have alternate implementations written in
arbitrary languages.  There is no reason why a Java implementation
could not exist.  Again, the entire data model will be entirely
contained in the db, so the amount of code in your project may be able
to be reduced a bit.  Personally, I am not much of a Java fan for this
sort of work, but I also believe in letting people provide whatever
the market wants (i.e. whatever your customers/users/you want, we
should help to support).

We are also planning on moving in the direction of AJAX at least as an
option.  Again, the current code structure isn't even close to
supporting this but we can get closer in the next few releases.  We
are also trying to keep everything pretty standards-compliant so the
templates could even be shared between implementations.

As for corner cases, hang out on the list for a while and you will see
them.  Among the obvious ones:

1)  No way to track prepayments against orders (fundamental database
shortcoming)
2)  Order to invoice conversion is not transactional (i.e. if you
don't complete the process, the order is closed anyway).  I looked at
trying to fix this at one point and concluded that it was best to wait
until we could actually tackle the real issues behind shipping and
order management (which are not sanely handled).