Re: Collaboration/merger with Ledger-SMB compatible Java project?

Hi David;

We are always interested in collaboration and helping people
interoperate with our software.  Hopefully that will be getting easier
rather than harder.

Unfortunately, I think that your approach is likely to run into
difficulties with where we are headed for a couple of reasons:

1)  Contrary to first impressions the db design stinks and has many
deep flaws forcing us to re-engineer the entire db schema between now
and 2.0.  Josh Drake will probably say I am being generous ;-)

2)  Contrary to first impressions, the SQL-Ledger codebase doesn't
handle corner cases very well, and a large amount of the code (and
data storage logic) is deeply flawed.  We are likely to diverge quite
quickly from SQL-Ledger in the coming months and next few years.

On a positive note, we are taking the interop question very seriously.
Interoperability will be supported on two different levels:

1)  XML documents will be accepted to the web server via a RESTful interface.
2)  The main db logic will be exported via stored procedures.

If you are interested in helping us in this area, please feel free to
contribute both to a discussion and even perhaps to the code if you
are able.  However, I am fairly certain your approach will require
some minor tweaking for 1.2, and more major rewrites for later
versions.  Unfortunately, this is the price to pay for getting rid of
a broken architecture.