Re: Light manufacturing moduels....

My comments below.

Jeff

On Saturday 27 January 2007 11:10, Chris Travers wrote:
> As I think about it, I do have at least one customer that might be
> interested in some of this down the road.  They currently use
> SQL-Ledger 2.4 in a limited point of sale capacity, and we are trying
> to move them to LSMB 1.2 when that comes out.  In addition to the
> retail end, they also press cider, some of which they ferment into
> hard cider.  They also make donuts but that is probably less easily
> automated.   Once we get them on LSMB 1.2 perhaps I will be able to
> talk more with them about what they need.
>
> They also run an orchard which means that in the end, there are other
> opportunities for the software from them beyond POS and light
> manufacturing.
Yes.  Having worked for a small and large vegetable seed company for 10 years,
there are many points where a generic manufacturing package would not meet
their needs.

> One question I have regarding this would be whether some sort of asset
> management and depreciation system would be required for cost
> accounting for manufacturing operations.
Generally I would think not, unless there are a lot of assets to track.  In
most cases an accountant would journal these costs into the general ledger.
However if there were a large quantity of assets to track I would recommend
a "Fixed Asset" package / module.  In the LSMB's current state I would
recommend creation of the fixed asset module at a later point - if the need
was there.