Re: Debian packages and Bruce Hohl Install

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 11:15:10AM -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
> in the RPM's the fear is that if these are ever included in a
> repository that might be used during installation, we can;t guarantee
> that PostgreSQL is running at the time of installation.  I suppose
> that we could try to start PostgreSQL if it is not already started,
> but then we get identd issues with most packages, and of course we
> would want to discuss the relevant security issues here first.

Start PostgreSQL?  Who says it's even installed on the same server as
LedgerSMB.

> Secondly, since we can't guarantee that an appropriate MTA is running
> at the time of installation, it would be better to create a file in
> the /root/ directory that would have that information if we find that
> we should go this route.

Many of the more "user-friendly" distros don't have a root password and
users may never visit /root (or even know of its existence), given the
recent trend towards favouring sudo and frequently inefficient graphical
applications.

--
Seneca
..hidden..