Re: PostgreSql Version

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 10:13:19PM +0100, Colin Flack wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Also, upgrading versions of PostgreSQL has gotten steadily easier
> > as it's matured.  If you upgrade from 7.2 to 7.4, expect *lots*
> > of stuff to break; if from 7.4 to 8.1, expect little or no stuff
> > to break.  An industry consortium is also working on "upgrade in
> > place" which would make upgrading an automated operation.
>
> specifically... how about from 7.3 to 8.1?
>
> to switch from SL to SMB (which I want to do!) I have to upgrade
> from 7.3.10 hopefully to 8.1 but as that box also runs an ensim cp
> which relies on PG I wondered if anybody here has any pointers
> before I set to it. I've read the upgrade page and install docs
> etc...
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/install-upgrading.html

One way, if you are afraid the change from 7.3 to 8.1 would
corrupt/break the ensim cp app, would be to compile your own copy of
8.1, installing it alongside 7.3 (in a different directory), running
on a different tcp/ip port, and run the two in parallel.  7.3
handling the ensim program, 8.1 handling LSMP.