Re: Community Documentation Architecture, was LaTeX templates, was Docmentation/FAQs

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 07:57 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> > Else why bother discussing it. Its too distracting to
> > have to explain/bitch/argue every time someone diverges. Better to
> > enforce rules, and have a separate area to discuss, amend,refine the
> > rules and change the enforcement facility to implement the new rules
> > where possible.
>
> Again, technology supports the enorcement of the rules, but we should
> define the rules rather than letting the technology do it for us :-)
Right, we *are* in total agreement. I read some things that you said to
indicate that you think the technology should not enforce rules, but
rather that guidelines, style guides, etc be written. Maybe you never
meant that. If so good, because IMO, if you rely on writing up how to do
something, and hope everyone will just follow it, you will be
disappointed. Its generally better to enforce through technology
whatever you can. Agreed, the rules to enforce must be set by us in that
technology.