Re: LaTeX templates, was Docmentation/FAQs

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 14:40 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> On 9/21/06, Jason Rodrigues <..hidden..> wrote:
>
> > I think we should embrace Template Toolkit for this.  TT has a lot of support
> > in the Perl community, and it's syntax is very easy. (And it  can work by
> > directly entering syntax into the OO.o writer!!)  We get a lot of plugins for
> > free, we don't have to deal with any working out any bugs in the original SL
> > template parser.
> >
> I will have to look more into this.  It might be useful in creating UI
> templates too :-)

OH! Most definitively! In fact we should look more into XUL, UIML and
other UI definition languages. In fact you could completely divorse the
"what" the UI is and "how" it is implemented by the different clients.
This way LedgerSMB could support Text-Web, Graphical-Web, Web2, GTk, and
QT, for example.

> > One thing I never understood is why SL doesn't use any perl modules outside of
> > DBI.  I mean, it even parses CGI query params by hand -- CGI.pm 's been in
> > perl since 5.3 .
>
> You will have to ask Dieter....

CPAN is community oriented thinking and Dieter is not community oriented
at all; I have always wondered why he chose Perl.