Re: Diverging applications

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 08:43 -0400, Christopher Murtagh wrote:
> On 9/12/06, David Tangye <..hidden..> wrote:
> > The .pl scripts in bin/mozilla
> > are all different files. Furthermore some files in the root and
> > bin/mozilla have the same names, but they are not clones of the same
> > file.
>
>   No they're not, but the all of the bin/mozilla/[a-z][a-z].pl files
> are the same file in bin/lynx (well they used to be, Chris cleaned
> that up a bit by making the files in bin/lynx simply require the
> bin/mozilla ones).
Sorry, I was referring to SL.

> > >  For user based custom scripts, they will also go into the custom
> > > directory, and simply be called 'username_am.pl'.
> > Would (LSMB)/users/bin/ be a logical directory?
>
>  Well, there's no reason for /bin/ in any paths, it doesn't add any
> clarity and makes the file system structure more complex.
I was thinking of following the convention of scripts and other
executables being in 'bin' directories.

>  There could
> be an argument for having a /users/ and a /custom/ directory, however
> in the current functionality it doesn't add much, and it conflicts in
> that there's already a /users/ directory
That's the 'users' I was referring to.

>  (which will be going soon too I hope).
:-). You are referring to security-related changes methinks: perhaps
that all authority-related info will move into the database? (If so it
seems to me that user preferences should be handled much the same.
Authority-related info = user options set by the system or
administrator, whereas user preferences are options set by the user.
Hmm, I think I mentioned this somewhere before. I'm starting to repeat
myself. It must be time I took a spell and let you guys get on with it.)