Re: Installation under Ubuntu 16.04

Hi Vincenzo,

> This issue with outdated packages is becoming a real problem with Ubuntu,
> as the delay with newer packages depends mostly on Debian's.
> I'll file another "bug" to Ubuntu for this in order to urge them to upgrade.
>
> Thanks again: I'm going to pull those 250+  packages and see if I can
> manage to run it!

I'am trying the PPA that's been suggested earlier on a fresh new
Ubuntu installation (thanks to QEmu/KVM).
I am preferring it to the Debian repository as the PPA should be more
Ubuntu-oriented.
I am referring to http://ledgersmb.org/topic/installing-ledgersmb-15
for instructions.

Thanks for hanging in there and providing us with your feedback!

Before you consulted the installation instructions, didn't the installed package work already?

Also this one is requiring me to pull 294 packages in and installed version
"1.4.33+ds-1~ubuntu16.04.1".
I checked that both apache module for perl and cpanm were missing.

I would expect that if the PPA works correctly (I'll test that later today) then you should not need to install these two items.

So I added them.
Then I have checked the Perl "core" modules and found that libjson-perl,
libpgobject-util-dbmethod-perl and libmoosex-nonmoose-perl were missing.

The missing libjson-perl dependency looks like a bug in the package. The other two aren't required on the 1.4 branch (they are on the 1.5 branch!).

All packages needed for PDF output were already in place as well as the
"Stand-alone Perl server".

Of the 295 packages pulled, a large part are actually related to the PDF stuff being pulled in (unfortunately).

I also added the extra (?) "OpenOffice output document" stuff.

This bit isn't required to run LedgerSMB, unless you want to be able to export OpenOffice documents. I'm getting by myself for years now without it (I usually export HTML, CSV or PDF documents).

I think that those missing bits should be pulled in as dependencies and not installed manually. In my opinion.

I think the OpenOffice part should probably be in the 'suggests' section of the PPA/deb; it's not a regularly used option I would expect. (Exporting CSV and using in Excel works pretty well too.)

I then went to the CPAN modules section.
For cpanm to work the "build-essential" package needs to be pulled in,
so I added it.

I think you're getting lost here between the use of the PPA and the installation of the pre-configured package.

That is: is your goal to run 1.5.0-development version? Or is your goal to run 1.4.33/1.4.34? The instructions you're following are definitely related to 1.5 installation (and not really good instructions for 1.4, as indicated by the sentence "Please note that installation of version 1.5 is completely different from the installation of versions 1.4 or earlier" in the instructions). Since you're installing from package though, you shouldn't be required to do much more than you already have on the steps above.

The suggested command says: "cpanm --quiet --notest --installdeps ."
but there is
no detail about that "." which should be the place where the
dependencies should be
checked from.

That's a good point. However, the first sentence says "This page contains the [...] installation instructions for LedgerSMB 1.5 [...] targetting [...] installation from release tarbals" (emphasis on the page).

I'll enhance page to say that all commands are expected to be run from the root of the extracted tarball unless otherwise noted.

I have tried the installation path
(/usr/share/ledgersmb) but it's still
failing with the same error:

########
cpanm (App::cpanminus) 1.7040 on perl 5.022001 built for
x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
Work directory is /home/support/.cpanm/work/1477739810.9419
You have make /usr/bin/make
You have LWP 6.15
You have /bin/tar: tar (GNU tar) 1.28
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.
You have /usr/bin/unzip
--> Working on /usr/share/ledgersmb/
Entering /usr/share/ledgersmb
Configuring /usr/share/ledgersmb
-> N/A
! Configuring /usr/share/ledgersmb/ failed. See
/home/support/.cpanm/work/1477739810.9419/build.log for details.
########

I am not a Perl expert and am now stuck at this point.
I have also walked the "debian path" but in the end I reach this same end point.

Normally, you should have been done already after installing the package and optionally restarting Apache. Isn't it already working? If not, what's in the apache error logs?

--
Bye,

Erik.

Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.