Re: getopt: illegal option -- l when trying to run prepare-company-database.sh on BSD

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Chris Bennett
<..hidden..> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 07:31:39PM -0500, Chris Bennett wrote:
>
>> > One of the key reasons for the shell scripts is that they are partly
>> > provided as documentation.  Perl tools are possible and we actually
>> > have the main logic done for this in the LedgerSMB::Database class.
>> > The big thing is that between the options we have already:
>> >

> Maybe that should be an important detail in new install and upgrade scripts.
> Good commenting, but even more important, maybe an echo or pod section to explain
> each step and why it is done?
> -q quiet
> -v verbose
> -V verbose with echoing out details that explain what and why.
>
> I now comment my new code well, after a lot of suffering during
> maintenance!

I am just curious..  Are you talking about the workflow scripts?  In
1.3, the POD is not entirely where we want it, particularly there in
part because when we started 1.3 we weren't sure what we wanted to put
in it (unlike the main Perl modules)......  1.4 development work is
shaping up there.  Later in that release cycle we'll probably come
back and revisit/revise POD in underdocumented areas of 1.3 (and merge
forward).

I am not really worried about code comments per se because POD is more
important (it gives intended info about functions), and because at
least in a collaborative environment, these seem to be happening
appropriately anyway.  I think it's a good idea when making some
possible breaking changes to use code comments to explain why those
are necessary so someone editing the file later.  Those comments are
happening.