Re: getopt: illegal option -- l when trying to run prepare-company-database.sh on BSD

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 03:26:01AM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Mikkel H?gh <..hidden..> wrote:
> > I have a FreeBSD 9.1 server that I've been trying to set up LSMB on, but I?ve hit a snag. When I run the script to configure the database, I get this error:
> >

> > (..hidden..) (27/pts/2/1) (/usr/local/ledgersmb)
> > % sudo tools/prepare-company-database.sh --company reveal --pgsql-contrib /usr/local/share/postgresql/extension
> > getopt: illegal option -- l
> >
> > I can only assume it's because the script uses a GNU-specific option to getopt.
> >
> > Why are these scripts not written in Perl? Thought it was the perfect language for this kind of thing ? and more portable :)
>
> One of the key reasons for the shell scripts is that they are partly
> provided as documentation.  Perl tools are possible and we actually
> have the main logic done for this in the LedgerSMB::Database class.
> The big thing is that between the options we have already:
>
> a)  some convoluted options in make test which can be used to create
> validated databases, run tests on existing databases, and even create
> temporary databases to test code with, dropping them when complete
> (see README.tests for more)
>
> b)  these shell scripts
>
> c)  the setup.pl web setup wizard
>
> I have been moving on to things broken or otherwise in need of changes
> and hoping to get to it at some point.  It hasn't been near the top of
> my priority list though.  If someone wants to do this though I would
> be happy to provide guidance.  Otherwise it may be a little bit.....
>
> Best Wishes,
> Chris Travers

Actually I was thinking of doing just that since the script also fails
to work right on OpenBSD.

What do you think about warnings? Completely quiet or verbose seem to be
a better set of choices to me. I like to see everything the first time,
nothing after a repeat install.

I do not have access to anything but OpenBSD right now.
But I can pick up a scrap drive in a week or someone can help me with
other OS tests.

Chris Bennett