Re: LedgerSMB Readiness

> What is the longest successful deployment of LedgerSMB? What trial and
> tribulations did you go through?
I have been running LedgerSMB since early this year. I found the installation
procedure complicated, but I succeeded without too much hassle. I remember
setting up accounts was a bit of a mess at first.

> What are the major bugs keeping me from deploying LedgerSMB?
I have not come across any major bugs so far. There are some annoying rounding
errors here and there (an invoice sent to the client for â 100,00 may end up
in the books as â 100,01). Occasionally, I get an error message about
something being empty, but I know I should log out and back in again to get it
to work again, which is done in seconds.

> What other software would you put up against LedgerSMB for reliability?
I had been using osFinancials for some years before. The main reason I was
looking for a replacement for my previous system was that I wanted the system
to run on a separate server. Before that I was using a dedicated machine. I
experimented with putting the database on a separate server, but that was a
failure. However, apart from being web-based, LedgerSMB brought many more
improvements. The workflow is much more intuitive. The dialogs are clear and
uncluttered. The reports are always clear about what they present. Correcting
a mistake is straightforward. These may seem simple demands, but the previous
system was an outright horror compared to this.

> Why isn't LedgerSMB right for my company?
Using LedgerSMB takes some programming skills to set up and modify, if you
want to get the most out of it. If your company currently has none at all of
these, using the system, or getting it to work at all, may get to be
frustrating.
I'll give an example. Standard documents, in LedgerSMB, come in LaTeX format.
Just as with my previous system, I built a little database query in
OpenOffice.org that takes the data from the PostgreSQL database and presents it
for use in standard invoices and quotations. That didn't cause many problems
(it was an evening's work) and I preferred to continue using OpenOffice over
learning LaTeX. I have built other extensions to LedgerSMB that perform CRM-
type actions. But I'm not a skilled programmer.

> Is it worth the risk migrating to LedgerSMB from Peachtree?
The risk from migrating can, and should, be mitigated by running two systems
in parallel for a while, then comparing the outcomes from time to time. Yes,
that means twice the amount of work and a bit of self-discipline. But it will
lead to better understanding and a better decision-making process.

Jos.