Re: Newbie help

Hi Chris,

I got LSMB installed on a fresh/clean system and have played around a
bit in a pristine environment.  I think some of my problems/issue may be
with the configuration of my old system as the new one seems to behave a
bit better.  I still have some questions regards the functioning of the
Project/TimeCards.

First off, is there any docs on the specifics of how projects/timecards
work? (the LSMB manual doesn't seem to cover much and I haven't found
anything else out there)  I've managed to get one through the system but
only by trial and error and as such I'm not really sure what I did to
make that one work.  Also, I have some questions regarding the internal
process and what's possible to change -- perhaps those questions are
more appropriate for the -devel list but I'll include the whole ball of
wax below.

Also, is there any code over-view that I could look at to see the layout
of things?  I've done a bit of Perl programming in the past (I'm a bit
rusty currently) and could easily tackle some of the items myself if I
knew where to go look.  A cursory glance at the code tells me that there
are some 'less than obvious' things lurking about. ;)

My questions are these:

Projects:
    - If the project end date has passed, can I still post time cards
against it?
    - Does the end date determine the Open/Closed status of a project?
    - Does the project have to be closed in order to generate the sales
orders?
    - What would the impact be of setting the primary key in the project
table to include the customer number as well, thus allowing the same
project name/number to be used across multiple customers.  Or perhaps
modifying the code to append the customer number to the project number
to make it unique.  In my case, I'd like to set up a monthly project to
collect time for each customer so that I can bill on a monthly basis --
102007 works well for October, 2007 billing but I can only use it once
in the current system, which leaves me manually appending some other
unique identifier to accommodate each customer.  Is there some other way
to do this that I'm missing?

Time Cards:
    - When I enter the basics (employee, proj. number, service code,
desc, time in/out) and save, the time is calculated as
'Non-Chargeable'.  This seems odd as I would think it would go in as
chargeable by default.  Is that easily changed?
    - If I go back in to edit the time card and change the time from
'Non-Chargeable' to 'Chargeable', and then hit 'Update', it won't take
the change... I have to save the card (and then get the warning that I'm
saving over an existing entry).  So what does the Update button do exactly?
    - Is it possible to have the 'Chargeout rate' auto-populate based on
the customer?  If I just leave it blank will the correct billing rate be
put in based on the price matrix for the customer?
    - When I enter a time card and then run a report, all the time cards
show up as 'closed'.  How would I keep a time card open?  Why would I
want/need a time card open/closed?

Please feel free to redirect me as needed if I'm being stupid about any
of this -- I don't want to waste your time answering questions that have
already been answered elsewhere.  Just point me to the 'elsewhere' and
I'll be just as happy.  :)

Thanks again.

Regards
Del