Re: Ideal menu structure, was: Menu structure reorganized

On 10/16/07, Charley Tiggs <..hidden..> wrote:
> Chris Travers wrote:
> >> Please try it here and give us your opinion.
> >>
> >> You can login here:
> >> <http://pongraczistvan.homelinux.com/ledgersmb/login.pl>
> >>
> >> Username:  test
> >> Password: test
> >>
> > Looking at this, I like what I see.  But the question I have for all users:
> >
> > What do people see as the ideal menu structure?  How would people like
> > to see the menu organized?  Is Istvan's idea optimal?  Are there
> > better ideas?
>
> Personally, I'm a fan of drop down menus organized along the top that's
> always available.

TBH, that is an entirely different question, which can be addressed as
we remove the last of the legacy code.  Furthermore, if this is done
well, there is no reason why it can't be addressed via stylesheets,
allowing for a certain degree of flexibility.

>  The reason being that menus on the side in an app
> like LSMB where there's lots of nested goodness, too much real estate is
> taken up vertically for companies that have older folks who prefer not
> to set their monitor at higher resolutions.

Longer-run when we get rid of frames, we can use the Z axis to handle
these question, and use hover pseudoclasses.  This can be again be
adjusted by stylesheet.

\
> If the menus must be on the left side, then provide a way to easily
> collapse them, gaining back that real estate temporarily and then expand
> them when it's necessary to engage another element.

Ok, here is the basic issue.  The legacy code is full of scoping
issues and I don't want to touch it anymore than we have to.  Hence I
don't think the approach of loose coupling via frames is going to go
away prior to the elimination of the custom code.  The alternative
(using a separate requiest via AJAX) is out because I think we want
something that will work at least minimally without javascript.