Re: Reprint Checks?

On 6/6/07, Ed W <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi

> Reprinting checks is somewhat problematic, however.  I personally
> worry about embezzlement risks.

The "problem" is to allow cheques to be printed only once.  The current
"solution" is to allow them to be printed at only one point in the system.

A better solution may be to allow it to be printed at various points in
the system, but only to be printed *once*, after that the option
disappears.

Not quite.

How do you handle a paper jam, for example?

At the moment, checks can be printed again from the AP transaction
screen.  This also is only half a solution because it only works if
you have a 1:1 relationship of bills to checks.  I.e. if you reprint a
check that pays two invoices, it doesn't work....

This is unfortunately a problem with the underlying data model (no
specific entity for payments).  We are scheduled to move to something
better in 1.4.

Seems to me that right now it would be possible to print a cheque twice
right at the beginning anyway, so the current system appears only to
hinder those who press the wrong button ?

The current system is broken in a large number of ways.  Part of the
problem is that payment entity information is not stored anywhere.
I.e. payments add line items to other transactions, but the actual
payment information itself is not stored anywhere in anything that is
mathematically reasonable to trust.  Since payments are not tracked as
unique entities, it is really impossible to be sure you are properly
reprinting.