Re: Using Latex to create PDFs

On 1 Jun 2007, at 08:32, Dave Coventry wrote:
Stroller wrote:
 Nevertheless, the above seems to suggest you have LaTeX installed
 properly.

 <much searching later...>

 Seems like my suggestion to "try any .tex file you can Google" was a
 little flip.

 Try this:
<http://meos.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/meos/eoslx/kernel/doc/ Documentation/devices.tex>

 The invoice templates in Ledger-SMB (& SL) use only LaTeX's standard
 features, as does the above.

Pretty much the same result for that document:
=================== snip ==========================
bayserver:~ # latex devices.tex && dvipdf devices.dvi
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(./devices.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, b
ahasa, basque, bulgarian, catalan, croatian, czech, danish, dutch,
esperanto, e
stonian, finnish, greek, icelandic, irish, italian, latin, magyar,
norsk, polis
h, portuges, romanian, russian, serbian, slovak, slovene, spanish,
swedish, tur
kish, ukrainian, nohyphenation, loaded.

! LaTeX Error: File `latex209.def' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: def)

Enter file name: x

dvips: ! Couldn't find header file tex.pro

=================== snip ==========================

Hmmmn,

  $ locate atex209.def
  /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/latex209.def
  $ equery belongs `!!`
  equery belongs `locate atex209.def`
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/ latex209.def in *... ] app-text/tetex-3.0_p1-r3 (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/ latex209.def)
  $ locate tex.pro
  /var/lib/texmf/dvips/base/tex.pro
  $ equery belongs `!!`
  equery belongs `locate tex.pro`
  [ Searching for file(s) /var/lib/texmf/dvips/base/tex.pro in *... ]
  app-text/tetex-3.0_p1-r3 (/var/lib/texmf/dvips/base/tex.pro)
  $

equery is my distro's tool for finding which package provides which file. It looks to me like these missing files should be provided by the basic part of your LaTeX distribution. My best suggestion is to try reinstalling LaTeX with your distro's package manager and/or use it to try a different version of LaTeX.

Although I know it sounds like a bit of a cop-out I suggest you resolve this - and get devices.tex to compile - before posting here further. You can also copy invoice.tex from your templates directory, edit the LSMB variables out of it and very easily mock up a "fake" invoice - you should be able to get this to compile.

comp.text.tex is very helpful for LaTeX problems: <http:// groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/>

 Is sendmail (or a /usr/sbin/sendmail substitute such as Postfix or
 SSMTP) installed correctly? What does `grep -i sendmail
 /usr/local/ledger-smb/ledgersmb.conf` say? (or the SL equivalent, I
 mean)

I believe sendmail is installed correctly:
=================== snip ==========================
bayserver:~ # which sendmail
/usr/sbin/sendmail
bayserver:~ # grep -i sendmail /opt/sql-ledger/sql-ledger.conf
use vars qw($userspath $spool $memberfile $templates $sendmail $language
$sid $latex %printer $gzip);
# location of sendmail
$sendmail = "| /usr/sbin/sendmail -t";
=================== snip ==========================

`sendmail -t` is the way to call Postfix's "Sendmail compatibility interface" so that it respects "To: " headers included in the message. I don't think "-t" is a valid parameter to Ye Olde Sendmail, so make sure it's Postfix you've got installed, not any of the other replacements.

With Postfix you should be able to make a text file with the contents:
   To: ..hidden..
   Subject: Here's an invoice
   Hi, pay up, or the fluffy kitten gets it.
and send it by typing `sendmail -t < /path/to/textfile` (or `cat / path/to/textfile | sendmail -t`). If you're using some different transport then I guess the "-t" might not be needed (`sendmail < / path/to/textfile`) and should omitted from your .conf file.

Finally, I'm not sure about SL configuration, but L-SMB configuration is different from yours, omitting the pipe:
  $ grep sendmail /usr/local/ledger-smb/ledgersmb.conf
### How to send mail. The sendmail command is used unless smtphost is set.
  sendmail   = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
  $

 When you're composing an invoice do you see a set of 3 drop-downs at
the foot of the page? The first says "Invoice", "Pick List", "Packing
 List" and the last lists configured printers. Does the middle
 drop-down give you Postscript & PDF options? There's also an HTML
 option on my system.

see attached screenshots.
The first has "Transaction" and "Receipt", no mention of  "Invoice",
"Pick List", "Packing List".

Do you have invoice.html & invoice.tex in /usr/local/ledger-smb/ templates/dave/ (or /usr/local/ledger-smb/templates/$username/ rather)??

Stroller.