Re: Using Latex to create PDFs

On 31 May 2007, at 13:55, Dave Coventry wrote:
Stroller wrote:
 Ok. So what's the problem? Isn't the email button showing up? Don't
 you get PDFs when you email the invoices to yourself?

Correct.

I have no idea of how to implement it or how it would manifest itself.
There is certainly no Email button anywhere.

The email button should be at the foot of the page when you're preparing a new Sales Invoice (under AR). On L-SMB it should be after the "Update", "Print", "Post" & "Ship to" buttons but before the "Schedule" button.

 Did you ensure that your ledgersmb.conf reads as I showed above?

Yes. However, at this point I should come clean. I am still using
SQL-Ledger on this particular machine.

Ok, that's fine.

But, Yes, I get the following result from running the 'grep' you
suggested (suitably modified).

================ snip=====================
bayserver:~# grep -i latex /opt/sql-ledger/sql-ledger.conf
use vars qw($userspath $spool $memberfile $templates $sendmail $language
$sid $latex %printer $gzip);
# if you have latex installed set to 1
$latex = 1;
# if the server can't find gzip, latex, dvips or pdflatex, add the path
================ snip=====================

Ok, cool.

From the last line "if the server can't find gzip, latex, dvips or pdflatex, add the path" - I assume this is set correctly.

 You can test to see if LaTeX is installed & working properly by
 grabbing a random .tex file off the next (Google has lots of
examples: <http://www.google.com/search?as_qdr=all&q=filetype% 3Atex>)
 and running `latex filename.tex && dvipdf filename.dvi`.

Running the commandline as you suggested gives me the following output:
================ snip=====================
bayserver:# latex /opt/sql-ledger/mn2esample.tex && dvipdf
/opt/sql-ledger/mn2esample.dvi
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(/opt/sql-ledger/mn2esample.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, b
ahasa, basque, bulgarian, catalan, croatian, czech, danish, dutch,
esperanto, e
stonian, finnish, greek, icelandic, irish, italian, latin, magyar,
norsk, polis
h, portuges, romanian, russian, serbian, slovak, slovene, spanish,
swedish, tur
kish, ukrainian, nohyphenation, loaded.

! LaTeX Error: File `mn2e.cls' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: cls)

Enter file name:
================ snip=====================

That's probably a Clupea Rubra - LaTeX allows you to install many additional packages for extra features, and I'm pretty sure that's what this is referring to. It simply looks like the document you chose happens to have included a template to format it according to the page-layout & typographical conventions of the Royal Astronomical Society newsletter.
<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/nonfree/macros/latex/contrib/mnras/>

Nevertheless, the above seems to suggest you have LaTeX installed properly.

<much searching later...>

Seems like my suggestion to "try any .tex file you can Google" was a little flip.

Try this:
<http://meos.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/meos/eoslx/kernel/doc/ Documentation/devices.tex>

The invoice templates in Ledger-SMB (& SL) use only LaTeX's standard features, as does the above.

I have to admit that you have pretty much exhausted my capacity to help. All that should be required for emailing PDFs is LaTeX to be installed correctly and for it to be enabled in the .conf file.

Is sendmail (or a /usr/sbin/sendmail substitute such as Postfix or SSMTP) installed correctly?
What does `grep -i sendmail /usr/local/ledger-smb/ledgersmb.conf` say?
(or the SL equivalent, I mean)

When you're composing an invoice do you see a set of 3 drop-downs at the foot of the page? The first says "Invoice", "Pick List", "Packing List" and the last lists configured printers. Does the middle drop-down give you Postscript & PDF options? There's also an HTML option on my system.

Stroller.