Re: Using Latex to create PDFs

Stroller wrote:

 The email button should be at the foot of the page when you're
 preparing a new Sales Invoice (under AR). On L-SMB it should be after
 the "Update", "Print", "Post" & "Ship to" buttons but before the
 "Schedule" button.

 Ok, cool.

 From the last line "if the server can't find gzip, latex, dvips or
 pdflatex, add the path" - I assume this is set correctly.

Yes. All the apps listed are accessible in /usr/bin which is on the $PATH.

 That's probably a Clupea Rubra - LaTeX allows you to install many
 additional packages for extra features, and I'm pretty sure that's
 what this is referring to. It simply looks like the document you
 chose happens to have included a template to format it according to
 the page-layout & typographical conventions of the Royal Astronomical
 Society newsletter.
 <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/nonfree/macros/latex/contrib/mnras/>

 Nevertheless, the above seems to suggest you have LaTeX installed
 properly.

 <much searching later...>

 Seems like my suggestion to "try any .tex file you can Google" was a
 little flip.

 Try this:

<http://meos.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/meos/eoslx/kernel/doc/Documentation/devices.tex>

 The invoice templates in Ledger-SMB (& SL) use only LaTeX's standard
 features, as does the above.

Pretty much the same result for that document:
=================== snip ==========================
bayserver:~ # latex devices.tex && dvipdf devices.dvi
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(./devices.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, b
ahasa, basque, bulgarian, catalan, croatian, czech, danish, dutch,
esperanto, e
stonian, finnish, greek, icelandic, irish, italian, latin, magyar,
norsk, polis
h, portuges, romanian, russian, serbian, slovak, slovene, spanish,
swedish, tur
kish, ukrainian, nohyphenation, loaded.

! LaTeX Error: File `latex209.def' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: def)

Enter file name: x

dvips: ! Couldn't find header file tex.pro

=================== snip ==========================

 I have to admit that you have pretty much exhausted my capacity to
 help. All that should be required for emailing PDFs is LaTeX to be
 installed correctly and for it to be enabled in the .conf file.

 Is sendmail (or a /usr/sbin/sendmail substitute such as Postfix or
 SSMTP) installed correctly? What does `grep -i sendmail
 /usr/local/ledger-smb/ledgersmb.conf` say? (or the SL equivalent, I
 mean)

I believe sendmail is installed correctly:
=================== snip ==========================
bayserver:~ # which sendmail
/usr/sbin/sendmail
bayserver:~ # grep -i sendmail /opt/sql-ledger/sql-ledger.conf
use vars qw($userspath $spool $memberfile $templates $sendmail $language
$sid $latex %printer $gzip);
# location of sendmail
$sendmail = "| /usr/sbin/sendmail -t";
=================== snip ==========================

 When you're composing an invoice do you see a set of 3 drop-downs at
 the foot of the page? The first says "Invoice", "Pick List", "Packing
 List" and the last lists configured printers. Does the middle
 drop-down give you Postscript & PDF options? There's also an HTML
 option on my system.

see attached screenshots.
The first has "Transaction" and "Receipt", no mention of  "Invoice",
"Pick List", "Packing List".

 Stroller.

--
Dave Coventry