Re: CRM and LedgerSMB

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 5:31 PM, o1bigtenor <..hidden..> wrote:

Took a quick look at eGroupware and the price about scared me away from anything else.

Yeah, it is a single vendor open source solution but their "community edition" is free.  From what you say though it may be a little overkill.  For your business that would be a larger mark against it.

Maybe I should delineate what I am doing and that might make things a little clearer.

We have a small farm which I am trying to move in the CSA (Customer Supported Agriculture) direction. This means that I am producing things myself and trying to sell to the customer directly. Some of that will be using Farmer's Markets but a lot of it is word of mouth and contact developed. This means that I have a disparate group of products with a common theme that they taste good (hearty bread(s), free run eggs, free run chickens, grass fed beef and am looking at producing sheep's milk cheeses.

Making me hungry :-)

All of that means that I get to do a lot of paperwork! (With much more on the horizon with the cheese making!)

Right.

I am looking at creating my own information systems re: cheese making but there is a lot of information used in the management of a dairy.

Had been using Kaddressbook but somehow there are some dependencies that are causing problems and I can't determine how to get rid of them (Debian testing) and in looking there really isn't a good contact system that I could find. Most of what I found hadn't been worked on for 5 to 10 years and the three I tried I couldn't get to install completely so if needs be I can use something like a spreadsheet (I am quite comfortable there) to get something that will let me keep a good contacts list. In a small business your contacts are very much important so that's why I thought I would ask.

For a direct equivalent to kaddressbook, you might find evolution helpful in this regard.  It's gtk instead of qt.  However, if you can tell me what you need on the vendor search report we can see what can be done.

Long run I would like to have full integration between address book solutions and our contact management stuff.  It's not on my immediate todo list though and if anyone else is interested in taking that up I would be happy to offer my technical thoughts.  I am also not sure it would be the right solution for you, so let's start with the reports we have, and find out what you need changed.

I assume your paperwork involves what you bought from which sources in terms of food safety stuff.  If you need the purchase history, then the report you are looking at is correct.  But if there is information you need on it that isn't there, it would be worth specifying so we can see what we can do about it.

Thanking one and all for their consideration!

Darald