Re: Upcoming 2.0 of LedgerSMB

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Color me skeptical.  There a reason most small-business accounting
>> systems are *not* web-based.

> Quickbooks online
> Quicken online
> Microsoft Dynamics
> Netsuite

Yes, but how do they generate printed invoices?  HTML+CSS or PDF that
bypasses the browser's rendering engine?

[...]

>> Again, I don't mean to be discouraging, but I doubt that's the last
>> remaining hurdle for most Quickbooks or Peachtree users.  LedgerSMB
>> has far more serious problems to worry about (eg, the Ontario HST
>> nightmare) than template configuration.

> Patches welcome :D

This is why I do not think you should target the same market as
shrink-wrapped proprietary accounting software.  I'm not trying to be
facetious, and I certainly don't mean to dismiss Free Software.  I'm
just saying it caters to a different market segment.

[...]

> I am really looking for more of a middle ground. We will never be
> quickbooks. But a move toward being simpler for those that need/want it
> will not hurt.

Sure.  So I think it's best to come up with a simpler templating engine
that still uses LaTeX to render so that LaTeX power-users can get their
hands dirty if they want.

(OT: Does anyone know what technology stack http://www.freshbooks.com
uses?  Do they generate printed invoices?)

Regards,

David.