Re: Upcoming 2.0 of LedgerSMB

On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 18:08 -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > Latex may be great for you but if I walk into an office and say, "Sue,
> > here is how you customize templates" and its tex? I might as well walk
> > back out, cause she will have none of it.
>
> If you are dreaming of a situation in which LedgerSMB is used *and
> customized* by "average" office workers, I'd say LaTeX is the least of
> your worries.

Spoken like a true geek. This isn't hard folks. The web has the whole
print thing down as long as you are using a modern browser. Simple
web-pdf tools exist as well.

> Realistically, installing and customizing LedgerSMB is currently done
> by Linux and FOSS geeks, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

You just made my point. One of my goals for 2.0 is to change that or at
least make large leaps toward it.

> So I would say it's best to use the best tools for the job, and LaTeX
> is about the best there is for generating printed output.

Again, I am not advocating the removal of latex (well I am, but it isn't
something I am willing to put any energy into.)

> > We *need* at least as an option to provide simple, easy to modify,
> > preferably from the browser, templates.
>
> How many people have asked for that?  (Just curious.)

Every single quickbooks and peachtree user.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor