Re: Upcoming 2.0 of LedgerSMB

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 17:17 -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> >> If you are dreaming of a situation in which LedgerSMB is used *and
> >> customized* by "average" office workers, I'd say LaTeX is the least of
> >> your worries.
>
> > Spoken like a true geek. This isn't hard folks. The web has the whole
> > print thing down as long as you are using a modern browser. Simple
> > web-pdf tools exist as well.
>
> Color me skeptical.  There a reason most small-business accounting
> systems are *not* web-based.

Quickbooks online
Quicken online
Microsoft Dynamics
Netsuite

Millions of users.

There is a large swath of users that (millions) that if built properly
that we open up LedgerSMB to.

> > Again, I am not advocating the removal of latex (well I am, but it isn't
> > something I am willing to put any energy into.)
>
> Good. :)  I hope that means my beloved LaTeX won't be going anywhere
> soon. :)

> >> How many people have asked for that?  (Just curious.)
>
> > Every single quickbooks and peachtree user.
>
> Again, I don't mean to be discouraging, but I doubt that's the last
> remaining hurdle for most Quickbooks or Peachtree users.  LedgerSMB
> has far more serious problems to worry about (eg, the Ontario HST
> nightmare) than template configuration.

Patches welcome :D

> Regards,
>
> David.
>
> PS: Please don't take this the wrong way... I love LedgerSMB and
> appreciate all the work you are doing, but I think attempting to
> compete in the same market as Windows-based shrink-wrap accounting
> software is a recipe for disaster.  Positioning LedgerSMB as a robust
> accounting system to be installed and configured by expert consultants
> and then used by office personnel is IMO a far more likely road to
> success.

I am really looking for more of a middle ground. We will never be
quickbooks. But a move toward being simpler for those that need/want it
will not hurt.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--