Re: Renting Developer time to advance 1.3/1.4 - anyone want to chip in?

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 7:48 AM, Ed W <..hidden..> wrote:
> Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 08:01:05 +0100, Ed W wrote:
>>
>>> I just want to see the money
>>> buy a number of days of full time work on "unspecified SL development"
>>> which will be timesheeted and demonstrably advance the release date of
>>> 1.3/1.4.  I plan to negotiate separately to buy specific features that
>>> are important to me...
>>>

>> I concur, if we as a community do this, it needs to be a sponsorship of
>> general development, and we'd need to trust the developers to do what they
>> think is best.
>>
>> I'd be comfortable if the mandate were to:
>>

>>   Make LedgerSMB trunk usable for developer-integrators deploying in light
>>   or pre-production scenarios. Use the sponsored time to make preparations
>>   for a 1.3 beta and RC cycle to follow.
>>

> Seconded - although it seems fairly likely that if we can just see a few
> serious sponsors then we can assume that 1.3 is achievable and
> development will start on 1.4?
>
> Are you prepared to put a rough figure down at this stage?

One thing I would suggest is that 1.3 is not likely to be accellerated
due to more money at the moment.  We are already working at maximum
capacity to get it ready.  Once we get that branched off, though, help
reworking the financial transactions modules might be helpful.  This
is the sort of basic foundational work which may be harder to find
sponsors for and it really should be tackled after we get a little
more comfortable with the new architecture.

Hope this helps,
Chris Travers