Re: Renting Developer time to advance 1.3/1.4 - anyone want to chip in?

Hello Ed:

I have been following this thread on and off so please forgive me if I am
completely off the tangent.

You know with any work one should really define the scope before there can
be a cost and etc., and in this case here not having the scope could hurt
you in convenincing anyone to chip in. In the same token, the scope is
probably what's going to stop other businesses from chipping in because it
is probably rare that two businesses having the same requirements. In
fact, other businesses could probably wait until 1.3 is released.

You said you have out grown SL and my guess is that you have probably more
out grown the "development community/monopoly." From your emails it seems
to me that LSMB 1.3 is gonna be your savior, but if your numbers aren't
matching right now then they are probably not going to match until LSMB
has completely rewrote the financial logics.

I am no expert in LSMB, but I have used SL since 2002 for my business. I
think there is not one accounting system that could solve everyone's
problems, but procedures implementation should be able to make up a lot.
Then the remaining could probably be left for software customization,
which we all know could be very costly to produce and maintain. Take COGS
for instance, SL's had never genereated a number that is usable for us so
we tackle it by procedure implementation and customized monthend reporting
to correct that number. Each quarter and yearend we give our numbers to
our accountant (which really isn't that expensive comparing to our
revenues) and it make sense to him and he files our taxes for us (keep
good audit trails because good accountant will ask questions, and my
experience tells me that the bank care more about our tax returns than our
income statements and balance sheets).

So $2000 isn't a lot or very little money but may be it is better given to
a local consultant where you can put your hands around his/her neck if
needed. Or yet, you can probably by a commercial accounting system. Hope
you do get this issue resolved for your business or for your clients that
are planning on using LSMB.

Best of luck!

Tim