Re: Pg removal of implicit type casts in 8.3

On 2/21/08, Joshua D. Drake <..hidden..> wrote:
> No you are misunderstanding Debian. Debian says that "as of testing" 8.2
>  is deprecated. That is *not* anywhere near close to stable or supported.

Just to jump in here as part of the team who is working to package
ledger-smb officially in Debian[0] - this 8.3 problem is a big one for
us. 8.3 is the default for testing, which will be frozen for a stable
release later this year (so I guess it depends on how "close to
stable" we're talking). As of right now it's going to be tough
(impossible?) for us to get ledgersmb into the next stable Debian
release if 8.3 isn't supported prior to the freeze. I'm not saying
that we expect focused development in this area to meet this goal,
it's more of just an FYI from our end.

That said, we're starting a dialog with the Debian postgresql folks to
discuss this implicit type casts issue, as it's a big change that has
the possibility of impacting a lot of applications.

[0] http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-sql-ledger/ - we're the
sql-ledger team with a sub-group working on ledgersmb, see also
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=406935 (FWIW - we
really could use help with this!)

Cheers,

Lyz