Re: Proposal: License Change for Manual And Standardization of Licenses for Official Docs

On 10/28/07, MJ Ray <..hidden..> wrote:

> > Wouldn't it be better to include the license in the work.  [...]
>
> Not necessarily.  For a licence the size of CC ones, that would be a
> possible way to prevent certain uses, like the FDL may[*] prevent use
> for reference cards.

Hmmm....  Given the choice between issuing a statement which says that
the license may be included as a different volume in a multivolume
work (limiting the question to standalone reference cards, and
implying that we see them as allowed), and adopting a license where we
have no control over future uses (because it has automatic license
upgrade clauses and must be licensed via a hyperlink to a server we
don't have control over), I can only say that the choice should be
clear.

My main point is that I would rather see a simple license distributed
with the documentation than a hyperlink.

We could edit the CC licenses to meet our needs and include them
inline, but at that point, it might be good to hire a lawyer for final
review.