Re: GPL v3? Other license options?

On 17 Aug 2007, at 17:39, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Chris Travers wrote:
I have been trying to formulate my thinking about whether this project
should upgrade the license to version 3 of the GNU GPL.

At this time we need to be focusing on development of the product and
not whether to upgrade to version 3 of a license. Not that the topic
isn't important, but that we have much bigger fish to fry right now.

I think that some mention of this - sooner rather than later - is worthwhile. It would be a shame to lose an active developer who has contributed much to the project over a later disagreement over license terms.

Whilst I'm inclined myself to agree with Chris' feelings that you "should wait until there is a compelling reason to update the license" it is only fair for all contributors to the project to know if there is a possibility that their code may become GPL v3 in the future. Presumably Chris has a reason for raising this matter.

This discussion shouldn't be to complicated! Surely all the developers are familiar with the GPL. The GPL v3 is a contentious subject and has been discussed to death elsewhere; there is therefore no need for a flamewar on this list - surely a "now", "never!" or "maybe" poll is all that's needed?

Stroller.