Re: Template storage mechanism?

Hi Chris,

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Chris Travers wrote:

Just a couple of points:

I don't think you can do any real validadation of TeX.

Agreed. Certain tex documents may be 'fragile', but still work. By fragile, I mean that a misplaced CR (or other characters) may kill the pdf build.

 That might be
possible in other areas, but since TeX will almost certainly act as
the high-end template system, we have to acknowledge that some level
of validation is going to break down at some point.

Ultimately, this also gives end users the flexibility to change what they want. It is certainly possible to make a 'tex generator' for simple structures so that users could use that to flesh out a starting point for a new design. However, most folks are just happy enough with small tweaks to existing files (in my experience with Open Admin tex templates).

We can load all the default templates into the db.  It would be
trivial to do that.

Yes, but also not much use, IMO. It's about the same thing as storing images as BLOB fields in a database as opposed to just dropping the images into a directory as a jpg file and linking to it.

This would also not be a 'good thing' for performance if there are already conerns over lsmb performance and the use of mod_perl.

As well, In a web environment, the field data would have to be pulled out, saved as a file and then linked to in any case. Same thing for TeX. Ugly.

Another thing could be ancilliary files - eg, for my consulting biz I have a
pdf file that I use as a watermark on my invoices, and our retail biz uses
png and eps files that we have our logo in - would those then be stored in
the db somehow, or will we always end up with some "stragglers" out on the
filesystem?

Good question.  I don't know if that has been looked at.  See?  Peer
review is good...

Another reason to stick with files. Uniformity.

Les Richardson
Open Admin for Schools