Re: future of LedgerSMB

I believe a healthy discussion on the future of LSMB is needed, although I'm
concerned about two issues, one being discussed and one not being discussed!

The concerns I have are about the one issue being discussed may degenerate
into unproductive language and platform wars - although (I believe) a remote
possibility).  The second issue not being discussed (at least I haven't seen
much written about it) is what are our intended users needs?  Shouldn't these
needs be the driving force behind the future direction of LSMB?  Therefore,
based upon user needs, can we not make intelligent decisions on the future of
LSMB?

While each language has it's strengths and weaknesses, both Perl and Python
are mature, fully functional, and have a whole host of toolkits available to
them.  Personally Python has a very slight advantage to me due to the syntax
style, but that is mostly immaterial compared to user needs.

Have we taken a "holistic" look at LSMB and user needs?  For example, would
ecommerce integration be a desired need?  Or integration with a popular CMS?
Or is enhanced light manufacturing a need being expressed?  I suggest we
first prioritize user needs and let them be the "basic" drivers in a
discussion on the future of LSMB.

Jeff Gerritsen