Re: Feedback on new customer/vendor proposal

On 11/8/06, Ed W <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi

> I want to make the current customer/vendor/shipto structure go away
> for 1.3.  It would be replaced by:

Sounds excellent.  Just a few thoughts:

- In general I only *buy* from my suppliers and only *sell* to my
customers.  ie for 95% of my contact base there is a clear distinction
as to whether I want them to be an option in the drop down list on
different types of invoice.  However, there are a smaller (but
definitely not zero) number of situations where I buy&sell to one
contact (off the top of my head, sell to a customer then buy back second
hand item some time later.  Also occasionally we sell a few line items
to companies that we normally use as a supplier)

Never hurts to state the obvious.  This way we make sure it gets done.
 Adding the dropdown links was not something I had thought of.

Sounds very useful.

I deal a lot with customers who travel the world and so they have a) a
normal billing address, b) a normal delivery address (which is probably
the same as (a) ) and c) the actual delivery address where they are in
the world right now.

So the invoice shipto should have an option (though not the
requirement) of saving the new shipto with the cutomer.

Now the time consuming bit is as follows: I also have some of my
suppliers ship direct to my customers (drop shipment), so I currently
need to tap in the invoice for my customer, then duplicate the same
invoice for my supplier, tapping in the delivery address into both
invoices.

Maybe a drop shipping interface that allows you to copy shipto's from
a customer or sales order /invoice into a vendor invoice or purchase
order?

Technically, I don't think it is gaap-compliant to copy from a sales
invoice to a vendor invoice because one should not invoice until after
the vendor has shipped, but I suspect that it may be OK if one can
void it later if it doesn't ship.  Any feedback on this issue?

Best wishes,
Chris Travers