Towards a LedgerNPO

Chris^2, all:

We're proceeding with LedgerSMB 1.1 as the accounting system for Software
In The Public Interest, Inc.  JD has already set up a hosted instance for
us.

However, LedgerSMB is of course set up for a retail, delivery or shipping
business rather than a non-profit.  I'd like to do the following:

1) Identify which NPO transactions correspond with which SMB transactions;

2) Re-theme LedgerSMB to re-label the interfaces and forms to correspond to
NPO language;

3) Where necessary, adjust the LedgerSMB code to support both NPO and SMB
transactions on the same code base.

The idea would be to eventually have an "LedgerNPO" which would be the same
as LedgerSMB except theme differences.  Not only does SPI need it, but I
think we'd see a lot of uptake and participation from non-profits,
especially OSS non-profits.  Currently, there is nothing like this in OSS
space.

Requirements Draft
=================

Objects
================
Donors:  Customers

Designations: a specific goal which donated funds must be used towards
(e.g. Debian Conference, PostgreSQL Development). Generally implemented by
creating an obligation towards a chart of accounts entry.  Could be
associated with a "product"; I'm not sure what works.
	Designations also need to be associatable with Users in some fashion, so
that specific Users can run reports only on specific Designations.

Transaction Types
===============

Pledges: Pledges are are agreements to make a donation at some later date.
They have an associated Donor and Designation, but might or might not have
Payment Method or Transaction Fees.

Donations:  Money actually received.  Has a Donor, Designation, Payment
Method and Transaction Fees.  Equivalent to a GL post?  I'm not sure.  One
change from standard SMB is that transaction fees, such as credit card
fees, must be assessed at the time of Donation because they will often
reduce the amount assigned to the Designation rather than coming out of a
central fund.

Expenses:  All outgoing checks.  Each should be associated with a
Designation.

Transfers:  between bank accounts, and between Designations.

There are no other types of transactions for NPOs; thus types of
transactions which do not apply should be hidden.

SPI-Specific
SPI claims 5% off the top of any Designated funds Donated to be used for
General Overhead.  This should somehow be automatic.   Few other NPOs do
this, however.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus