Re: Was Re: COGS incorrect when invoices are reposted - now on Docs

Documentation is always appreciated.  Of course, we are in the process
always of trying to take what we have and expand upon it.   I think we
a good infrastructure for maintaining this as a community and this
hasn't been built yet.   But I don't think we should wait either.

The first thing to do is learn how to use the software.  The user
manual in the doc file is probably the best place to start.  If there
is any editing you wish to do, you can send your comments to the list,
and if you want to edit that document, you can use LyX.  However, it
was really designed to be training material and not help per se (which
is what we really need at the moment).

One thing that would really help would be if someone were to document
the interface so we could use this as the basis of a contextual help
system.  Ideally, this should be in XHTML format if you have a decent
editor, but I am willing to take what I can and edit it in if
necessary.

Of course, if you see something else that needs work, feel free to volunteer :-)

Thanks for your offer

On 9/21/06, Darald Bantel <..hidden..> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 13:43 -0400, Jason Rodrigues wrote:
> On Thursday 21 September 2006 13:20, Chris Travers wrote:
> > We are working on ACL and role administration, and on the
> > specification of voiding invoices.  I expect to post a detailed
> > discussion as to how I think voiding should work this evening.  Then I
> > can get feedback from Real Accounting Types and we can make this work
> > well.
>
> Chris,
>
> Do we have any plans yet on how we are going to write documentation?  I
> understand one of the goals of the fork is to make available clear docs for
> both the developer and end user.
>
> I'd like to start to assembling  some of the things worked out via IRC/Mailing
> list so that it at least forms some kind of FAQ.
>
> Mabey a  Wiki living on the web site?  I think it should output to several
> forms:
>  * a printable book
>  * viewable in whole on line ...
>  * something we can hook from the code, to provide live online help
>   - Context sensitive links
>   - Popup help, like the "Whats this" feature in some GUIs ..
>
> Translastions are important too, whatever we decide on should make it easy for
> translators to manage....

Please contact me if you wish assistance on writing documentation. I can
read (although I do not write well) a number of languages other than
English so might be able to help there to!

I am not a coder but I do know how to write clearly - am hoping that may
be useful to the group as a whole!

Darald