Re: COGS incorrect when invoices are reposted

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions here....

On 9/21/06, Roland Porth <..hidden..> wrote:

 It would seem that reposting or voiding could have troublesome side effects
for some or all of the following

 Time-dependent functions:

Cost of Goods Sold (which cost is allocated to which purchase)

The current apps screw this up a bit.  It takes the most recent (which
is correct, according to FIFO rules) but fails to post a proper
account adjustment.  This is where the numbers get off.

Iirc, reversing the invoice works properly as a way of voiding it.

Inventory Levels (adjusted after each transaction)

This Inventory levels are adjusted to include those items previously invoiced.

Tax Rate applied (rates change, shipping address changes cause different tax
rates to apply)

The transaction is reversed when reposted or deleted (would work the
same with voiding).

Currency Conversion Rate applied (todays rate is different than yesterdays)

Conversion rates are applied as of the invoice date.

Shipping Rates applied (shipping rates change)

LedgerSMB and SQL-Ledger have no internal shipping rate changes.
These are handled on a data entry level.

Discounts applied  (some discounts are only applicable within a time period)

Prices per item are tied to the invoice.  The master parts table is
not consulted for prices.

Selling Price applied (some price tables change at a specific date
 If an order is accepted on Dec 31,2005 at 11:59 PM then voided/adjusted the
next day, what are the proper accounting and customer acceptable actions
with regard to all the above time-dependent rates above?

See above.

 How does LedgerSMB handle these time-dependent prices and rates?  How
should it?

Most of it is handled pretty well, actually.  The big issue is that
COGS gets off when an invoice is reposted.  I am concerned, however,
that cost calculations might get off when voiding/returning products
using my current scheme (i.e. all items might be set to last cost
which might be erroneous).  I will have to do some additional testing.