Re: Call for testing experimental patch

Hi Tony,

I think it is too late to change the name of the table to
transactions, but I will consider it.

On 9/19/06, Tony Fraser <..hidden..> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 11:34 -0700, Tony Fraser wrote:
> I wonder if the 'table' field should be renamed 'module'? See
> CA::all_transactions(), GL::all_transactions() and possibly (AR|
> AP)::all_transactions() to see where I'm going with this. We could
> drastically reduce the complexity of the enormous queries generated by
> these subroutines with a join to the new table and it would allow
> easier
> integration of add-on modules into the trial balance and GL
> transaction
> reports.

On further investigation I think there's more to this than I first
thought. I'd still like to get rid of the hard coding of "ar", "ap" and
"gl" as the only tables included in these reports and the necessity to
patch CA.pm and GL.pm if you want to integrate new modules. I'm starting
to think it will be necessary to have both a "table" and a "module"
field in the new table although the "table" field will be a bit
redundant in a way.

I would like to get rid of that problem too.  At least this way, one
could use left joins instead of UNIONs...  but it is still a ways a
way...

Eventually, it may be possible to merge as many fields as possible
into the transaction_ledger table.  This might largely reduce our
dependency on other tables (in particular, gl) and would allow for
simpler GL reports.

This restriction is something that has bothered me about SQL Ledger for
several years but I've never really invested the time to come up with a
good solution, mainly because every time I dig into it I don't find a
way of doing it without drastically changing the schema.

Well, we welcome ideas on this.  I think that moving some things into
stored procedures may allow for some more flexibility in this area,
but this hasn't happened yet.

I'm out of time to look at it further right now. I'll look at it again
soon. I'm guessing that this is one of those things that's not going to
make it into 1.1 and will have to wait for a future version.

Well, feel free to share your thoughts with us.