Re: Call for testing experimental patch

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 23:41 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:

> That is what the insert's are for :-)  If they fail you have
> problems....
Yes, oh OK, so migration from SL will need to involve re-inserting all
the old SL data eg create a new dataset in LedgerSMB, and then will a
backup file from SL run OK?

> Think of this as "scaffolding."
:-)

>         The meaning/usage of 'id' (and 'num' and 'code'?) needs to be
>         defined
>         and consistently used, otherwise you get confusion and bugs
>         written into
>         the system down the track.
>
> Agreed.  But again, do we rewrite  the app from scratch which is what
> would be required, or do we stabilize and fix in place?
Both :-)

Stabilize. Add nothing new. And then redevelop. Don't get stuck with
creeping enhancements into a schema/technology that cannot handle it.
Its like quicksand. I am sure you have been there.

If you can possibly plan to do it that way, that's what I would try very
hard to do. I don't mean throw everything away. Hmm, then again, the few
times I took over others' apps, sooner or later I almost always realised
it was far more effective to just bite the bullet and start pretty-well
again.