Re: Many hands make light work: what can we do to get 10 minutes of your time in 2016?

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:06:49 +0100
Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 4:32 AM, ledger-smb-users <
> ..hidden..> wrote:
>
> > > I appreciate your sensitivity on this but in the context of this
> > > discussion, but in this context, feel free to discuss it.
> >
> > Good. It is ledger-cli. Written in C, and working surprisingly
> > fast, it has a command line interface although there's also a fork,
> > hledger, which can work with a browser GUI.
> >

> I have looked at Ledger-CLI because it was chosen as the basis for an
> open source non-profit-oriented solution.
>
> It is well done for what it does.   One of the impressions that I got
> from it was that the direction we are moving, in the area of a clear
> separation of mechanism from interface, is a good one and that is one
> thing that LedgerCLI does very well (making it a very good for very
> small operations).
>

> > It maintains a 'database' in text format with different files for
> > payors/payees and for their commodities and their prices if you
> > like to maintain those, and for the accounts of course. it's all
> > plain readable and relations between the
> > entities are clear and can easily be tracked down if needed.
> >

> Right.  It has to lock that so no concurrent access right?  I mean
> you can have a server which serializes requests and enters them one
> at a time, but you cannot have multiple readers and multiple writers
> at the same moment, as I understand it.  So the design limitations
> are different. If it works for you I won't be the one to bad mouth
> them or anything.  It's a good program for what it does.

Yes, I forgot to mention the lack of simultaneous access by
multiple users. It's something that I don't need.

> However it is worth noting what we can learn from them.
>

> > Inputting is very fast and for repeating transactions you simple do
> > a search/copy/paste in your text document and change the date.
> >

> I wonder how hard it woudl be to make a ledger-cli-compatible import
> library for LSMB.  Not sure we could do the same tagging they do (our
> tagging system is different) but for basic format stuff should be
> easy I think.  I will add an enhancement item to do this.

That would be very helpful for my future return to LSMB, thanks. :)

Best regards,
ario