Re: Ongoing AR/AP tax problems

Hi Phil;

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Phil <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I believe I may have found a bug - I am using 1.2.20 and the bug is
> not listed in the changelog for 1.2.21.
>
> I have many AR transactions where the tax is included (Tax Included is
> checked) and the tax amount is entered (but not checked). The tax
> amount is calculated by the user outside the package and entered into
> LSMB in this way, so there is no automatic calculation by LSMB.
>
> When I do an AR report and include Tax,  some display only the tax
> portion of the AR transaction (as expected), and some entries show a
> tax figure for the entire total of the AR transaction.
>
> I have checked the individual ledgers and they appear correct so this
> appears to be a display bug in the AR reporting.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't noticed this.   Is there any pattern to the anomily?

> Also, I notice a number of questions over the past few months relating
> to automatic calculation of AR/AP tax have gone unanswered.
>
> Back in the earlier versions of LSMB, checking the box next to Tax on
> an AR/AP entry followed by an Update had LSMB calculate the tax for
> you (the result depending on whether you had Tax Included checked or
> not). This was standard behaviour in SQL-Ledger and it appeared to be
> ported over correctly but seems to have broke in subsequent LSMB
> updates.

I believe this was removed some time ago because of difficulties in
determining what was taxable for the line items in the AR/AP reports
(it was causing problems for some customers, though this was in part
user confusion).

> Can someone who understands the code-base comment on whether we will
> see a fix for this either in 1.2 or 1.3 ?

What we really need is more discussion about desired behavior here.
Since it was in 1.2.0, I think we could fix it in stable branches
without raising too many concerns.

One option would be check boxes by each line item and radio buttons by
the taxes so that one could select each tax individually.

Best wishes,
Chris Travers