Re: problems with an invoice number

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 09:19 -0700, Bob Miller wrote:

> > Now, I have questions :
> >
> > a) has he broken anything by doing this?
>
> Too the best of my knowledge, for whatever that is worth, no.  I am sure
> someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I hope someone doesn't - I like your answer better than the
alternatives ;)

> > b) can the invoice number be changed to match the one previously mailed out?
>
> You could open the invoice, change the invoice number, and post as new.
> But I think that would make two invoices, 1297 and 1299, so you would
> then have to undo 1299.  I would personally approach that by re-mailing
> invoice 1299 instead.

Hmm, the problem was it wouldn't et him post the 1297 invoice, almost as
though there was a collision - but no such invoice exists in the
database. I'm tempted to get him to send me a dump of the database and
try to recreate the problem here.

> > and, of course,
> >
> > c) does anybody have any idea why such a thing would happen?
>
> If he emailed and invoice, but then didn't post it.  As far as I know,
> emailing and printing cause the invoice number count to increase by one,
> but the number is only really used if the invoice actually gets posted.

OK, so if he emailed it before posting, perhaps this could cause this?

Cheers,
Eamonn