Re: problems with an invoice number

Hi,

> > Too the best of my knowledge, for whatever that is worth, no.  I am sure
> > someone will correct me if I am wrong.
>
> I hope someone doesn't - I like your answer better than the
> alternatives ;)

Agreed :)

> Hmm, the problem was it wouldn't et him post the 1297 invoice, almost as
> though there was a collision - but no such invoice exists in the
> database. I'm tempted to get him to send me a dump of the database and
> try to recreate the problem here.

The only bad thing I can think of that would happen by just not using
number 1297 is that it wouldn't "look" as good.  It looks nice to have
everything numerically ordered, but from my experience, there is no such
requirement for proper operation of the program.

> OK, so if he emailed it before posting, perhaps this could cause this?

More accurately, if he mailed and then forgot to post (or as Luke
suggested was otherwise interrupted).  Have done this before myself.
Same thing happens if you print and forget to post.

I noticed in your answer to Luke that you were considering altering the
database.  I would recommend caution, as some not so recent advice from
David caused me to understand why they use the term "relational
database" - making a change in one place in the database can affect more
than that one cell.

Bob Miller
334-7117/660-5315
http://computerisms.ca