Re: Handling Employee Expenses

I am posting this for the sake of the archives, since the solution was
developed under another thread.

In this post:

http://www.mail-archive.com/..hidden../msg01451.html

Jeff Roberts explains a solution for handling employee expenses, which
works well, and covers both the AP Transaction and Vendor Invoice methods
of paying the vendor.

In following his example, however, in the last paragraph, it is necessary
to use "Cash -> Payment" (or Payments) to handle balancing the accounts,
instead of what he advises ("Cash -> Receipts" or "Cash -> Transaction").

The basic process is this:

Create two vendors: the one the product/service was acquired from (call it
"Real Vendor"), and the employee who paid the expense (call him "employee
vendor").

You need two accounts.

The first should be a pseudo checking account (like the 1060 account in
standard LedgerSMB charts), but with its type set as "Liability".  It will
have the payment checkboxes selected under receivables and payables.
I called mine "Employee Paid Expenses".

The second account is an AP summary account.  Create a new account (for
example 2105, so it sorts after your normal Accounts Payable account),
with the type set to liability.  Select "AP" in the summary section.  I
called mine "Payables Clearing Account".

The process:

Create an AP Transaction or Vendor Invoice to the "Real Vendor" as normal.
In the payments section, record a payment out of the "Employee Paid
Expenses" account.

After you post it, go into Cash -> Payment.  Select the "all" checkbox,
and hit update.  Choose "Employee Vendor" as the vendor, and hit continue,
if you are presented with a screen asking you to do so.  Note, that
because of a bug in some versions of LSMB, you may have to choose the
vendor a second time from the dropdown, and hit update.

Set the AP account to the "Payables Clearing Account" (or what ever you
called the summary account), choose your real bank account, and enter the
other details of the check you are issuing.

Post the payment, and then go to Cash -> Payments.

Check the box for the outstanding AP transaction which has been created,
and which includes the negative amount you were just working with.  Hit
update.

Choose the "Payables Clearing Account" as the AP, and the "Employee Paid
Expenses" account as the bank account, and make some meaningful note like
"Employee Expense Clearing" in the memo field.

Once you post this, the accounts should balance, and your employee expense
is handled.

Of course, you may want to break up the check issuing (cash -> payment),
and balancing (cash -> payments) portion of this process into a bulk
transaction at the end of the month/quarter/what ever, to save yourself
some work, and pay several expenses at once.

Hope this helps someone.

Luke