Re: upgrades and database integrity.

On 11 Jan 2010, at 21:50, Luke wrote:
It's very easy in this step to accidentally post a new invoice (to the
same customer) with a negative amount, leaving the original open and
unpaid. I think this comes from having amounts filled in but the
select box unticked.

How would the select box get unticked? The amounts don't get filled in by the program until the box is ticked, so unless you manually unticke them after an update, or manually enter a number other than the auto one in the
amount fields, that should never happen.

Ok, using the workflow I described before, the select box is unticked by default.

I guess I started out with LedgerSMB (or SQL-Ledger) by choosing a customer from the drop-down, then update and then filling out the amounts and clicking post.

Does that not seem logical?

Then I discovered that if "select" was unticked it would muck things up, so I added this to my workflow, after filling out the amounts.

It would never have occurred to me that LedgerSMB would fill out the amounts for me if I choose a customer from the drop-down, then update, then tick select, then press update again. Why would I expect it to do that? It took your comments above for me to experiment & discover this behaviour.

I have experienced the negative & unpaid invoice problem a number of times, and it always casts a shadow (at least) upon my day. Thus I have never intentionally vary from my now-established routine.

Stroller.