Re: upgrades and database integrity.

On 11 Jan 2010, at 06:48, Luke wrote:
Of course I agree that this is what he should be doing, but I have a
different approach to yours, and I am uncertain why you do it as you
describe...
Enter the amount in BOTH amount fields, and THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, DO
NOT SKIP THIS STEP, tick the select box, between the "amount due" and
the "amount" fields of the table line items.
I advise you NOT to click "update" at this stage, but instead:
Click post.

Here is where our methods differ: if you only check the box(es), and then
select "update", the program should fill in the proper amounts.

You may then update further to your heart's content, and finally select
post.

Only if you are paying fractional invoices, should you need to do anything
with the amount fields.

It's very easy in this step to accidentally post a new invoice (to the same customer) with a negative amount, leaving the original open and unpaid. I think this comes from having amounts filled in but the select box unticked.

I believe this will be fixed in future releases, when the codebase diverges further from SQL-Ledger and improves with respect to correctness, but meantime I (like, I guess, many other end-users) learned how to operate LedgerSMB pretty much by trial and error, so I stick to what I know.

I think we can agree, however, that the Cash interface is the way to enter payments, not via open invoices found in AR > Reports?

Stroller.