Re: upgrades and database integrity.

On 10 Jan 2010, at 21:42, Alvin Starr wrote:
I may be doing something stupid that worked in previous versions.
When we have a payment on an existing invoice we apply the payment and
update as necessary and then post the transaction.
This triggers the "posting an existing transaction" warning.
I have never been quite comfortable with igoring warnings but this
seemed to be the only way to get this to work.

You need to go to "Cash" in the menu on the left hand side of the screen, then select "Receipt" in the sub-menu.

Choose the customer name from the drop-down and click the "update" button at the foot of the page.

You will now see a list of unpaid invoices pertaining to that customer.

Set the date field as the date you received the payment.

I think source & memo are optional. I use source for "cash" / "cheque" / "bank transfer" and memo for the cheque number (if applicable) but I'm not sure if this is the right way round. I don't think it matters.

Enter the amount in BOTH amount fields, and THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP, tick the select box, between the "amount due" and the "amount" fields of the table line items.

I advise you NOT to click "update" at this stage, but instead:

Click post.

Apologies if you're already do it this way, but the way I interpret your explanation (quoted) is that you enter the invoice itself (e.g. through AR > Reports > Outstanding) and enter the payment there. I don't believe this is the correct way to apply payments - if you follow the steps I describe above then no warning will be issued (and perhaps you will not experience the bug you describe, either).

Stroller.