Re: Multiple currency setup and unbalanced general ledger transactions

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Nigel Titley wrote:

> The problem is that LSMB does not allow you to create accounts in
> currencies other than your base currency (see my original description
> for the the full details, but basically I do almost everything in GBP,
> but have a EUR account for taking payments from customers who wish to
> pay in Euros).

I've followed this, but not as closely as I probably should have.

So, forgive the question if it is insulting, but do you understand the
difference between "bank" accounts and "book" accounts?

Accounts in ledgersmb are denominated in numbers, not currencies.
Currency is an effect imposed by the transaction, and will determine how
certain numbers are processed into FX gain/loss accounts.
Real "checking" and other kind of banking accounts may require special
treatment.  Last time I used SQL-Ledger, it was offering bank accounts as
a separate item, but that software has gone in a bad direction, so I have
stopped following it.

LedgerSMB does not currently treat accounts storing actual money in any
different way than ledger accounts which are effectively line items.
Whether that kind of thing is coming in 1.3 I don't know, but it probably
should be.

It might be useful to have a trigger of some kind that states, in effect
"when ever money moves out of X account into another, apply an FX
transaction", but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Than again, it could be that I misunderstand all of this, in which case
hopefully Chris or someone will tell you to ignore me completely.

Luke