[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: 2 persistant bugs; LaTeX & erratic page breaks
- Subject: Re: 2 persistant bugs; LaTeX & erratic page breaks
- From: Stroller <..hidden..>
- Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 18:46:58 +0100
On 18 May 2009, at 20:41, Schmiechen wrote:
Bug 2 is printing page breaks.
I get very erratic page breaks when printing multi page orders and
I also get odd blank pages.
I have tried messing with the page breaks to no avial.
I tried upgrading to Texlive also.
Has anyone else had trouble with page breaks?
Looking for some tips or ideas.
I see code for testing a new template system in 1.3 is Ledgersmb
going to stay
I have set up Texlive for Letter paper.
I have a file called papersize.tex to test adjust the papersize on all
This is the file:
%This had margins that were too big:%
%This has .5 in left and right margins and .75 top and 1.125 in
Are you asking for help with your own LaTeX templates? I think it
might help to have stated this.
I assume that the problem doesn't occur if you replace your templates
with the standard default ones that ship with LedgerSMB?
I have spent many hours on the LaTeX invoice template for SQL-Ledger /
LedgerSMB, but cannot claim to be an expert. There are some real
wizards on the comp.text.tex newsgroup, whose abilities with this
markup astound me - perhaps one of them would find it easier to lay
out an invoice, but to be honest, I'm amazed how anyone could
understand LaTeX so well as those guys obviously do, because I find
its quirks quite obscure and I find modifications to our invoices
quite difficult & time-consuming.
Having said that, my invoice.tex produces really quite stable results,
and now has continued to do so over nearly 1000 invoices, including
some that are multipage.
I think it might help if you were able to be more specific. Is there
any particular part of the invoice that causes bad results during the
pagebreak? To be honest, I think one would need to see the whole
invoice.tex file to debug this properly and, considering the time that
would consume, I don't know whether you'd have much luck getting
useful help with this on a mailing list.
Search my previous posts for more comments, because I try to reply to
LaTeX related questions whenever I can; perhaps I flatter myself by
suggesting that my comments are helpful, but no-one else seems to
common on this subject with such verbosity :/. In the past I have
spent hours composing LaTeX related comments to this list, so I do
hope I've said at least something useful during that time. Search the
archive for "stroller latex".
As I've said before, the key to creating your own .tex templates is to
work from first principles and do one bit at a time. Unless your
changes are quite minor, I don't think modifying the default template
is the best way for success - certainly I started out with invoice.tex
as a blank page with an invoice number at the top; then I added my
logo, then my address, then the customer address (and spent some time
ensuring that it would always line up with the envelope's window,
irrespective of the number of address lines or the length of the
addressee name); eventually I added parts of the itemised invoicing
(then itemnotes and serial numbers), and only after that was working
correctly did I add the invoice total and page numbering.
When creating the table for the the itemised part of the invoice, I do
not think the default LedgerSMB template will be so helpful to copy
from. I think that I pretty much used it for referencing the <?lsmb
foreach number ?> <?lsmb number ?> <?lsmb description ?> ... <?lsmb
end number ?>. But I think by this stage you should be using your own
understanding of LaTeX to lay out the table structure yourself. If you
copy blindly then you won't know where to look for the bugs; if you
create the table piece by piece, testing repeatedly with an existing
sample invoice, you will know which change you have just made when you
see a problem.
There's a copy of my own invoice.tex in the archive. As I've said,
this does multipage invoices fine here. You might try it on your own
system & see how the results fair. The only change necessary should be
to change A4 to letter. I use Arev & Augie fonts - these should be
optional, and if you don't install them then I _think_ another font
should be substituted.
I believe TexLive to be the best & "correct" distro.
I think that if you're using tabularx then this may be the root of
your problem. See my next post for details.